Many people have so called silver or mercury fillings in their teeth. It is true that these fillings do contain some mercury and that some systemic diseases can be caused and/or exacerbated by mercury based fillings. Today’s composite fillings are not only strong and durable and without mercury, but as you can see bellow, they are much more aesthetically pleasing than the traditional amalgam or metal fillings.
What are the advantages of tooth coloured fillings (white fillings)?
- They closely match natural tooth colour and appearance
- They bond to tooth structure chemically and thus do not require the placement of slots, grooves or pins in healthy tooth structure to mechanically retain them
- The bonding of white fillings to the tooth maintains the original strength of the tooth
- They completely harden in seconds instead of days required by some other materials
- Tooth sensitivity, if any, due to composite resin use is minimal and brief
- They may be used on front and back teeth without compromising aesthetics
Reasons why you may need composite white fillings:
- Chipped teeth
- Closing space between two teeth
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Decayed teeth
- Worn teeth
- Leaking amalgam filling